“Frankly Rosa, I’m not that interested in business stuff.”

Oh dear.

We were talking story on a phone call this morning. I loved the forthright honesty of the statement, I really did, for it gave us the chance to extend the conversation —to talk story a bit more. My immediate reaction was that I could not help but blurt out, “Gosh, I really wish you were; how can I help you be a bit more interested in it?”

I didn’t intend to convert them professionally, I fully understand and support other career and life choices, but I did want them to personally think about business in a more favorable light.

You see, even if you are not in business, and can’t imagine that you ever will be, I believe you still must recognize just how much the world of business affects you and the life you live, and live daily. (The life you lead is the subject and value study on MWAC this month). Business is a master influencer, and in our present-day society it is a pretty inescapable one.

The influences happen because people in business are ‘movers and shakers’ who ho‘o; they make things happen frequently and intentionally. They take initiative with generating change because to settle for the status quo —the way things are, is akin to accepting mediocrity. Mediocrity in turn, will most certainly trigger the workplace cancers of complacency, apathy, boredom, and eventually the commiseration which wallows in a blame-someone-else entitlement mentality within any organizational culture. Pure yuck. (And then there is the killer mediocrity will certainly be with any business’s competitive advantage in the markets of free enterprise.)

Me, I LOVE the art and science and impactful visionary leadership that is possible within the world of business, so I freely admit to you that I am not completely objective on arguing its relative importance. (My own SLC Strategic Initiatives, i.e. my hoped-for and ho‘o-style influencers, are here.)

Help me out on this, would you? Especially if you can empathize with my caller this morning. Let’s talk story and extend the conversation.

Where would (or perhaps the question is how would) someone uninterested in the world of business find, and willingly step through an entry point to discovering more? I am looking for those entry point options that would entice their eagerness and be fairly quick for them: What do you think? How can I help?

Comments

If you break it down to the most basic element, it is this: business is money. If you need money in any way, shape or form, then you need to understand business. If you need money for a charitable organization, to fund a start-up, to pay for groceries, then you need to understand business. So, maybe it’s not your favorite subject, but to say you’re not that interested says to me that you’re also not interested in living life the way you want it to be. It says that you’re going to let life do whatever it wants to you, that you’re not going to have a hand in directing your own ship. That’s a place few people should want to be.

Ah Anita, the basics of “financial literacy” is a good entry point, and it is our very real-world universal concern. Call it “transactional currency” or whatever makes you feel better, for thinking of money as evil serves very little purpose, if any.
    And I fully concur with your coaching to “have a hand in directing [our] own ship.” Takes us back to the concept of self-leadership as the self-enabler.

Rosa,
    just a few thoughts: I am an employee. So I could say “I am not interested in business”. But I think that even we, as employees, can learn something from people who have their own business. More and more, even employed people have to take responsibility for their own ways of doing their job. People are needed who can take decisions. People are needed who are able to organize themselves and their work. So also for me the concept of self-leadership is important.

Absolutely Ulla.
    In my view the word “employee” should always be replaced with “business partner” where everyone involved in a business in any way, shape or form considers themselves to be one, simultaneously working IN and ON the business at the same time, and thus being the great influencers they can be!

5. thadeus says

Interesting comments on mediocrity. I’ve always wanted to know how to overcome its presence in schools (especially in secondary school).
    As far as ‘business’ goes, I know that I am influenced by it in a million ways, but I am not interested in putting my mental energies into it mainly for two reasons. First, my priority is to put my mental energy into the relationships involved in being a good Christian, husband, and father. Second, the weaker of the two reasons, is a fear of jumping in and failing (which is inevitable, I know, but difficult for this perfectionist to overcome).
    I don’t know if this adds to the conversation or not, but those are my thoughts on the topic. :)

Thadeus, I do think you have a substantial challenge to address in the educational professions. I do not profess to have the answers for you, well aware that my own coaching strength is with the adult learner who can now deliberately and willingly choose their own paths of study. Perhaps that is a big part of it: Our kids seem to go through the paces in school, doing their so-called “learning” for someone else (parents, teachers, the law that says they must be in school) versus with more clarity in understanding that they can simultaneous learn for their own needs. That understanding very early in my own life may have been one of the greatest gifts my own parents ever gave me.
    I think that overcoming mediocrity boils down to that gifting of an answer to WIIFM? The what’s in it for me question has a negative connotation, but it is actually quite true that when you cut through the clutter or journey to arrive there, the only kind of motivation which exists is self-motivation.
    And Thadeus, you do add to the conversation, so mahalo for doing so!
    To the second part of your comment, business is a big topic that can be broken down into many smaller points, some that are virtually no-fail. You have begun some racing in my brain, and I feel another posting coming on!