On Ho‘ohiki: Keeping your promises

Aloha,

This article has been updated, and now appears within the archives of Managing with Aloha, along with the recent articles and essays I currently publish.

You can read it here:

On Ho‘ohiki: Keeping your promises (RSS)

Rosa Say
Workplace culture coach, and author of Managing with Aloha, Bringing Hawai‘i’s Universal Values to the Art of Business: Learn more here.

Comments

*gack* It’s like you’re talking directly to me. Seriously. I’m better now. It was a horrible horrible phase that I went through and I apologize for it all the time to those who put up with me through that period.
    You didn’t have to tell EVERYbody.
    You’ve got to love a blog post that the reader takes personally don’t you? (If it’s good, obviously not if they’re upset — I’m not upset.) It’s good when readers internalize what you say. It’s also an awesome responsibility to make sure you say good things so they are internalizing your best.
    No pressure. :)

Hi Rosa, thanks for this reminder.
    This was one of the early lessons I learned at work, but one that has stuck with me. I had made a big error in my haste to get away on holiday, and only discovered it when I came back a fortnight later. It was the first time I’d fouled up big style in my working life, and I just wanted the floor to swallow me up. Some colleagues suggested a way of ‘fixing it’ without ‘fessing up, but I knew I had to tell the manager who was affected and then work out a solution. He was great about it, and 100% appreciative of my honesty which allowed us to find an honest and open solution with the third parties who’d been affected. I felt so much better after telling him and working with him to set things right.
    The value of honesty and integrity is one that’s stayed with me as a guiding light since then, and one I’ve tried to instil in people that have worked with me too.
    Joanna

Aloha Rich and Joanna, mahalo for sharing your stories with us, you were both so terrific to do so!
    We all have them, these stories of when we’ve tripped up, but not all of us are as intuitive as you both were, when it comes to learning from them and becoming the better person we are capable of becoming. These are the learnings that others will say became your wisdom.

Rosa – This is not only great advice, but I know that you live it. Thanks for sharing these thoughts and your great example with all of us.
    This should be required learning for *every*one.
    Kevin :)

Rosa:
    Just read this article following a conversation I had with my daughter. She had “missed” an opportunity to follow through on a couple of tasks that we (her mom and I) had asked her to do.
    When I informed her of this, she quickly apologized. But in the course of the conversation, we told her that her apology wasn’t enough (accepted but there needs to be more).
    I have just called her over to my laptop and we read this post together. Our conversation now centers around what needs to happen from this point forward (how can she ADD more value). It was nice to have another “voice” for her to hear (READ) what needed to happen next.
    Thanks for writing this. I am printing it off as reading material for ALL four of my kids.

Promises Broken: Why Asking For Forgiveness Often Requires More Than Words

I realize I let you down. …and? I just wanted to apologize. …and? I feel really bad about it. …and? What do you mean by ‘…and’, I said I was sorry? …and? Why do you keep asking that? Isn’t enough

Thank you Kevin, you are very kind in what you’ve said. Truth is, I write this to remind myself to keep up my practice too!
    Tim, you made my day in sharing your story, mahalo. Parenting is such a tough thing to do well, and I am thrilled to know I may havve helped, even just a little bit!

The ingredients of a credible writing style

Honesty, trustworthiness and credibility are all vital to a good business reputation. You may be used reflecting these values in what you do and say at work, but what can you do to inject them into the written word? I

The 20 Benefits of Peer to Peer Coaching (and the MWA Way of doing it)

Peer to Peer Coaching the Managing with Aloha way (P2PC for short) is a tool I bring to as many workplaces as I possibly can: As with The Daily Five Minutes ® (D5M), I am always looking for a place to

Ka lā hiki ola and Ho‘ohiki

The first time I went out on the ocean with the Alaka‘i Nalu, I was in seat five of their first and oldest canoe, the seat where the steersman could best keep an eye on me. The canoe was named