“Aloha! What’s in a name?” Quite a bit.

Yes, quite a bit.

You may think I’m crazy to post this, and maybe I am ” however I’ve got to be honest and say that I’m pretty thrilled with Matthew De George’s posts at his ManageWithoutThem Blog about the misunderstanding and potentially fuzzy interpretations people can levy against my book, Managing with Aloha.

MWA has been out for about eight months, and up to now everyone has always been so terribly nice about it — which is a great thing, and believe me, I’m not at all complaining about that. It’s just that Matthew has actually been the first one to truly engage me in a discussion about it. I’m loving it.

Matthew’s first post was here: Change This — Managing with Aloha
And this was Matthew’s post a few days ago:
Aloha! What’s in a name?
[I just saw it now Matthew, sorry for the delay with my response.]

Matthew has been great, and he is right: First impressions count for a lot; no author can blindly hope that people will wait to read your entire book before they have an opinion about it.  Takes me back to one of Stephen Covey’s habits again ” Seek first to understand, and then be understood”

Once I decided to distribute my book outside of Hawaii, seeking to understand what aloha is perceived to be in the rest of the world became pretty fascinating for me. Thus one reason I wanted to write the ChangeThis manifesto: I’m asking a lot expecting people to buy MWA for $24.99 when at full retail, then expecting they’ll read every bit of it — all 266 pages worth.

Now a completely free 28-page manifesto could have a better shot. Perhaps another blind hope, but maybe one with more of a fighting chance. And I fully realize a persons’s time is more precious than what may be in their wallet: edit after edit, I tried to keep it as short as I could.

So Ho‘ohana Community, would you help me out? I would sincerely appreciate anything you could do to help me spread the word about the free download of my MWA manifesto on ChangeThis. Or welcome your friends to visit all of us here on Talking Story and join our conversation: It’ll be a one-stop shop for them; the link to Change This is in the right column, up top beneath the MWA book jacket.

Tell you what, one more offer: two more freebies.
Here are pdf links for the full texts of two key sections of MWA:

Prologue and Introduction

Chapter One on Aloha

You can say mahalo, thank you, to Matthew!

If you are a Blogger, remember the trackback to ChangeThis, and get yourself some traffic too!

This trackback goes to ManagingwithAloha.com: http://www.typepad.com/t/trackback/2751928

Related posts:

Mahalo nui Simon, thank you for your update today at your Leadership Blog.

Managing with Aloha arrives at ChangeThis.com

Managing with Aloha: Yes! You can too!

Comments

Rosa,
    I have to admit that I didn’t understand your philosophy and web site when I first visited it several months ago. I thought it only applied to Hawaii’s culture and just didn’t get it. However, I found myself giving it a chance and after reading your blog and then your manifesto, I found you are RIGHT ON TARGET regarding management and leadership principles. I plan on reading your book soon. Keep up the great work and helping all of us be better managers!

Rosa…I’ve joined your Word of Blog campaign…this is what I’ve posted over at studentl.inc:
    If You Can’t Be In Hawaii, Then Bring Hawaii To You!
    One of the beauties of writing a blog is that you get to know other bloggers. You learn from them. You like them. You recommend them to others.
    One of the blogs that I’ve found challenging, inspiring, and read it like a heartfelt letter from an old friend – is Rosa Say’s Talking Story. Rosa lives in Hawaii. You know that the moment you step foot in her blogosphere. I’ve been to Hawaii (Oahu, Hawai’i, & Maui) about a dozen times in my life. Every time I step foot off the plane, I feel different…better. I love spending time over there. I learned to scuba dive there. Every experience in Hawaii is a memory worth saving, cherishing.
    To some extent, that’s the way you feel when you read Rosa’s blog, catch some of Rosa’s passion. You feel different, you realize that she walks on Hawaiian soil everday of her life. She communicates Hawaii better than anyone I know. (See how she responds to one of my comments here)
    Rosa has started a Word of Mouth (errr…Word of Blog) campaign to let you know about a wonderful resource: Managing with Aloha – A ChangeThis manifesto for FREE!
    I haven’t had the chance to read Rosa’s book, but the manifesto is a wonderful nugget of management wisdom – Hawaiian style! I have learned so much about the inherant beauty, depth, and values within the Hawaiian language. Rosa transposes these values into practical wisdom that each of us can incorporate into our own lives, organizations, and relationships.
    What Rosa provides is more than just a “how-to” list of better business practices, she provides a new set of glasses through which to view the world. Each month she focuses on specific areas of improvement and practice.
    So take a moment and read her manifesto. Download it here. And then join the Ho‘ohana community by reading Rosa’s blog here.
    Mahalo nui Rosa!

Aloha e Skip, mahalo for sticking it out and giving me a chance! I am very grateful knowing how many blogs you have to choose from when you sit to read what’s offered. You have been very good to me!
    I will readily admit that Talking Story has gone through some transition: In the beginning (which was before my book was published) my thought was to write this blog mostly for the Hawaii audience. I wasn’t naïve about the global reach that blogs have; I was just concentrating on Hawaii first, trying to get the MWA message to bring more nobility to management to those businesses in my own backyard.
    However all were welcome here if by chance they did stop by, and over time I’ve tried my best to do what any business worth their salt should do — be more responsive to my customers, and to all of them. I did write my ChangeThis manifesto specifically in mindfulness of my new customer embrace, one that came as a result of Talking Story’s growing Ho‘ohana Community and the aloha that has been shared so openly and completely here by so many. In some ways that manifesto was harder to write than my book, and I am so very glad to know that you enjoyed reading it, and I genuinely appreciate your commenting here.

Ooooh Tim, such aloha! Mahalo nui for your wonderful post! Your generosity and kindness render me speechless (which does not happen very often with me :)
    Tim, you are very very good at this. You must let me know if you ever want some part-time work as a copywriter for my business!
    Rosa

Rosa,
    You are to be admired as much for your courage as for your passion for bringing nobility to the practice of management.
    It is hard enough to get an audience to grasp unfamiliar concepts (like nobility) in the first place, but the barriers are HUGE when you introduce languages that are not understood or easily pronounced.
    The fact that you have succeeded in spite of this is a testament to the power of your vision and your passion.
    I am aware of other authors who introduced concepts in books that are almost unreadable with today’s literacy levels and have gone on to great succcess by cutting back on the gradient at which information was presented and providing supporting documents and books that lead the reader through complex ideas with little bitty baby steps until the material sinks in.
    You may find that the barriers to understanding are great enough that you may have to publish extracts of your book as a series of pamphlets under the banner of “Managing With Aloha for Non- Hawaiians”
    You should never dilute the philosophy, but you might get better mileage if you keep the Hawaiian terms to no more than three per booklet. If you think of these booklets as an “English translation” of MWA, you will get the idea I am proposing.
    After all, if you were to write a Russian version of MWA, how many Hawaiian words would you introduce?
    Just consider this a matter of thinking outside the box in order to break down the barriers between your ideas and a planet full of people who need them.
    Aloha

Thoughts on the London Bombings

Our values — the origin and location of our sense of who we are — are matters of the heart. That’s what’s so dangerous about terrorists and all other extremists. They work to embed their values in the hearts of vulnerable people, often the poor and d…

Aloha David, thank you for stopping by and giving me your suggestions. I never considered doing separate pamphlets for capsules of the MWA values, and yet that in fact is how I teach my classes – in modules. Something to think more about!
    I certainly have been fortunate in that MWA was published at this point in time, where the blogosphere has helped me so greatly, reinventing publishing anew with each passing day.